So I dove into this project for two reasons.
1.) Robins are fucking cool.
And B.) to test my limits.
I wanted to do something like GOLD FINCH again, before I started on anything I had thoughts of doing a Red Winged Black Bird. Love em. Which would have been the male look. a female RWBB is still cool and all, but they're rather nondescript brown with only a white eyebrow. Now the thing about a male RWBB is that the shape is like 98% black. Yall would not be able to see shit for photos. learned my lesson through MOTHMAN.
So fuck it. American Robin. But this time I wouldn’t follow the same steps as GOLDFINCH, I’m gonna go fancy. And by fancy I MEAN KICK MY OWN ASS.
I’m talking folding wings, articulated legs, more or less the life size of an actual animal, beak that can open and close, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I wanted to go for absolute REALISM here baybeeeee!!!...
Now. there Is the fellow called Spotted Towhee. would be roughly the same size of a finch AND the same colors of a robin. Would have shaved off the time by around half. The reason why I didn't do Towhee is for this small simple reason thing called "I-Did-Not-Think-Of-That-Until-Now".
If all the big and small of making a felt isn’t hell enough, I decided to begin on another project AT THE SAME TIME
I ignore the pleas of my own body to stop making a bajillion art pieces in such a short span of time. In that I began to work on making a teeny tiny meemaw. That y’all can look at HERE. Is in part of TWWM group.
(theres an actual bird in the middle photo there.)
Okay now out of the park. time for wall.
Here is just to show off the mouth stuff. it can also be manipulated. open. closed. pogging.
Using some sheets folded up and layered, some sort of shape appears. then wrap it in gray to make things more even.
Before I went too far out, I peeled apart all i've done thus far because I wanted the neck to be malleable.
Usually with the average feltings, there would be plenty of rocks, stones, and pebbles at use. but not this time. sticks, branches, and twigs are in the spotlight now!
I put paper clip bones in the legs
and it's at this point in that meemaw shows up. bouncing between the two.
I like working on the bird feet. grabby grabby. There was the first take on making wings. first take...
After spending like two hours on doing wings, I realized I fucked up. they're both facing the same way instead of mirroring. besides that, it just looks plain awful. not satisfied. but im learning, it's all part of the process.
oh yeah. much better. all according to keikaku.
before I had cemented the belly tile in place, I inserted a bit of bumpage into the chest. puff it out all proudly and stuff. It's all cooking together now!
With the use of rubber bands, binder clips, and the occasional twig, I bounded the feet in. So that the fibers would be stressed into place and the toes would curl in. as if its to perch onto something.
As I was working on the eyes, I thought of doing some more detail of yellow iris. as the lack of show to evidence that I thought otherwise. just leave em as is.
A few weeks prior to anything, I came across a pile of loose fur. I dont know what it came from. if its from shedding or what remains of a prey animal. who knows. So obviously I threw caution to the wind and took some. and then used some of that fur for both this doll of 000 and ROBIN.
And SPEAKING of MEEMAW 000... Heres some more stuff.